Wednesday, October 29, 2008


Goodmorning Leja Bulela Family and Extended Family,

It has been 3 Months since Dallas 2008, it has been a year and 3 months since Milwaukee 2007...what is the state of Leja Bulela Non-Profit Organization?

The Elders, our founders since Detroit 1993, have been working to change and make a positive impact on our homeland of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (Formerly known as Zaire). A river of sweat, a lake of tears, and an ocean of blood have been spilt not only in the DRC, but that same blood, sweat, and tears have been shed by our very own LB community. People have made the ultimate sacrifice in order to do the work we do, some by natural causes, some by circumstances that aren't left up to us. What have you or I done to honor them? What have you or I done to make sure that another generation of young Congolese have hope and something to look forward to? Abbe Muyombo has made it clear as the equatorial sun on what needs to be done, and how to do it. He has set off the ticking time bomb that is the Leja Bulela Young Adults Organization. The Legendary Legacy is what we are determined to create. The Never Again message of 1993 did not fall upon deaf ears. My unique perspective of this organization is the narrative of this email, brought on by the recent wave of activity in the LB YAO.

I just turned 11 years old when the first LB meeting was held in my home. I was about to go into 6th grade at Burton International School in the heart of the ghetto of Detroit, MI. In 2007 was the first time I stood up in front of my Elders, 14 years since the beginning, I was 25 years old, one year removed from graduation from San Francisco State University. I was working at University California San Francisco in the Parsa Laboratory working on brain cancer vaccination. I was poised to go to medical school and follow in the footsteps of my living legend father. But, after Milwaukee 2007 everything changed.

During that 14 year period between LB 1 and LB 14 I was learning about my culture. I was reading about our people. I was talking with our people. I was living with our people. I was going to our meetings. And one thing that I learned is that SACRIFICES needed to be made. I saw exactly what the state of the Congolese people were in, and I decided to do, without prompting, without advice, and without counsel, I put my dreams on hold. I have decided to take another revolutionary path. To dedicate my life to the service of others in my community. During that 14 year period I did nothing for anybody else. I was focused on my athletics, my education, my personal relationships, my religion, my lifestyle.

The smoke cleared in 2007 when I was at the zenith of swagger, with great relationship, great job, great living situation, nice cars, great family and friends. The voices of the voiceless called to me and told me that my glory is nothing. That nobody on this Earth has stood up for Our people since Patrice Lumumba and Ernesto Guevara on a global transparent scale. Enough was enough. I stood up in front of Leja Bulela and made a promise to do something for the people of the DR Congo. This I cannot do alone. What has been accomplished thus far is a group/team effort. We ALL have a role to play.

First and foremost, talk about Leja Bulela to others. The pastor preaching to the choir terminology comes to mind. No more wasted emails to our group about ourselves. Get brave, branch out. This is the very least that you can do to help this organization. As the National Communications Chair of LB YAO, I have been doing that. I have called the White House in Washington, D.C. and will do so again. Next is the the Govenor, then the Mayor. We have associates at the University of Chicago, San Francisco State, UC San Francisco, AllState, UC Santa Barbara, AFJN and Sports4Kids NPO. I am talking to those that I know will make the minimal effort of at least telling one other person about who we are and what we do.

Secondly, we need to change the mentality of how we do things. There is nothing that will ever limit us. There are no barriers or obstacles too great for us to do our work. The motto of LB YAO is WE RUN DRC. We are the ones in control and nobody is in the way of the righteous work that is done and will be done. No idea is too small, no contribution is too minimal. Forward thinking is what will drive us for the next 15 years. We started from an idea, now look what we've become.

One cent or $500 no amount of money given to us shall be turned down. Make a donation can for your job or workplace. I will send you an LB graphic, print it on nice paper put it on a container and get donations. If you want to sell candy bars for $1 we have the link for that. If you would like to sell T shirts we have the connection for that. LB should not only be funded by our membership dues, but by the contributions of our community. Get $5 from 5 people and send it in. If you need a power point, we have it. If you need a video, we have it. If you need a brochure, we have it. If you need a website(s) we have them. If you need advice, we have it. If you need help on a presentation, you'll get it.

The proof is here. Our will needs to be transparent. What I mean by that is there should be no illegal business, no under the table dealings, no backwardness to what we are doing. We are trying to give our homeland what it needs to sustain its population. Our country has a myriad of resources yet our GDP is in the basement. That cannot be allowed. We have the potential energy and now we need to ignite it.

Finally, look to each other for inspiration. Each family has a story to bring to the table. It is time to document each of our family's history and compile it in the form of letters, pictures, etc. The people are what make Leja Bulela, and it is the people of Leja Bulela that will help shape the future of the Congo. This work will never be done, but we will work to accomplish our goals day by day, task by task. What is it that motivates you? Use it to help us all. For me it is sacrifice. Some say that I have everything, but I believe I have nothing until all my people have something. Take a stand, make a change.

Weekly Conference Calls on Sunday (712) 432.1601 (307891)

With Respect and Solidarity,

Tshilumba Makanda Kabongo
National Communications Chair
Leja Bulela Young Adults Organization
www.malukayi.blogspot.com
www.lejabulela.org
tshilumba.kabongo@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment